Wednesday, September 19, 2012

5 Things I Want To See More In Young Adult/New Adult Novels - Part 1

I have loved reading for as long as I can remember (well, the same probably goes for you, if you're reading this), so I am pretty open to any sort of novels or stories. With that said, ever since I've made the transition from middle grade books to young adult novels, I've noticed the lack of some of my favourite things about stories. Here are 5 things I want to see more in Young Adult/New Adult novels:

1. More standalone books.
Series are great if you want to spend a large chunk of your year rolling on the floor crying waiting for the next book in the series. But, I already belong in way too many emotions draining, pain causing fandoms to last me my whole life so no thanks.

I want to pick up a book that leaves me satisfied, from the first page to the last. No cliffhangers, no waiting. I believe, it takes real talents to write a good story, develop settings and characters in just one single book. Any aspiring authors out there, you get a pixelated high-five from me.

Some examples are: The Graveyard Book by Neil Gaiman, The Fault In Our Stars by John Green and The Book Thief by Markus Zusak. Of the three, I've only read The Book Thief but I'll definitely be reading the other two. 



2. More spy/espionage novels.
Hello high-tech gadgets, awesome fight scenes and bucket loads of suspense. What is not to love? With the teen readers consisting mostly of females, an expansion in this genre not only will draw in much-needed male readers, but it also spoils yours truly silly.

People who knows me well knows I am a die-hard kaboom-shazam fangirl. I have a soft spot for big explosions, well choreographed chase/fight scenes and heroic comebacks. Can we have a love child of Kill Bill and 007? Pretty please?

3. More mystery/detective/whodunits 
I am sick of "mysteries" being thrown around in practically every urban fantasy novel. 

"But Edward is not like everyone else. He has a secret. A secret so dark that everyone he loves is in danger..."

Hold up. Stop right there. I'm afraid I cannot let you enter Stella's brain. There seems to be an incompatibility with you and the system. Please step back and walk to the other side of the world so the system can be safe from you?

I miss Sherlock Holmes, Nancy Drew, Cam Jansen mysteries. I want clues, neat tricks for finding fingerprints. I want to be amazed by the killer's method and motives. Once you're qualified, you may be granted access into Stella's brain.


As for number 4 and 5, I will save those for another day. For you series readers out there, I'm sure you're used to waiting, anyways. 

2 comments:

  1. "I miss Sherlock Holmes, Nancy Drew, Cam Jansen mysteries. I want clues, neat tricks for finding fingerprints."
    I agree entirely! I loved the Hardy Boys when I was young and I wish there was a more adult version.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yesss~ I loved The Hardy Boys. You should write the grown-up version and make billions off of it.

      Delete