Sunday, September 23, 2012

5 Things I Want To See More In Young Adult/New Adult Novels - Part 2

In the previous post, I listed off 3 things I really want to see more in YA/NA novels. Here are numbers 4 and 5:

4. Different ethnicities and cultures.
One prominent things I like about reading is the ability to take readers to places he or she has never been, whether to a fictional place like Narnia, or somewhere halfway around the world like Papua New Guinea (I'm still waiting on this one). Maybe it's the fact I live in Canada and read books published by English-speaking publishers that I find it difficult to encounter a story who has a "person of colour" as a main character. I want to experience something that is not easily accessible to me, like other cultures' traditions, their festivals, their beliefs and myths. And yet, I'm left with dystopian this, angels that and shy girl with a special power that can safe the world, instead. 

The Kite Runner and The Book Thief were two novels that I've read which left me feeling satisfied (and sad). Some other books that I've heard about are: The Memoir of a Geisha, Eon: Dragoneye Reborn, Snow Flower and the Secret Fan and A Fine Balance.

                         

If you guys know any other "cultural reads", please feel free to comment and let me know.


5. Can I haz funnies?
Surprise! The sci-fi/fantasy fangirl is a huge fan of David Sedaris! Yes, if you ask any one of my close friends, they will tell you Stella laughs a lot.

This mystical creature finds almost anything humourous and she isn't afraid to let you know. Common behaviour includes shrieking laughter and intense knee-slapping.

Comedy is definitely a microscopic field in the world of YA. I have personally never read anything that is purely funny. I've encountered funny characters with awesome personalities but nothing to the scale of what the Internet can't provide. The two books (that really can't be considered YA) I am looking to check are by Matthew Inman or more commonly known as The Oatmeal (www.TheOatmeal.com). They are called:

5 Very Good Reasons to Punch a Dolphin In the Mouth (And Other useful Guides)

and

How to Tell If Your Cat Is Plotting to Kill You.


That's it! Five things I want to see more in YA/NA. Let me know what are your top five in the comments.

4 comments:

  1. I highly recommend the Cellist of Sarajevo for a cultural read that is sad but uplifting in the end.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I've heard great things about that book! I think what makes it even sadder is the fact the it's based on a true story.

      Delete
  2. I love your blog so much; it just speaks to my heart. Let me take you back to the beginning. As I was reading your welcome post, I began to tear up. It just touched my very soul to see that you had taken time to welcome us to this blog. I mean, it's just a blog, you know? But it's not. It's so much more than that. The gentle curve of your commas just makes me feel. I don't even know what to say. I love this. I love this so much.
    I don't think I should be this forward, but I think I'm falling in love with... your writing. It's beautiful.

    Please answer me. Please call me. Please stalk me. I love you.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Oh my gawd an admirer? Im so glad u lyke my posts. Luv u sarah

      ur stalker, Stella.
      Xx

      Delete